Stay Positive


"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

- Alert Camus








Monday, July 23, 2012

Venus Williams - Vegan

Tennis star Venus Williams, who recently won the 2012 Wimbledon women's doubles title with her sister Serena, has been following a raw vegan diet since being diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome last fall.

Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease that causes fatigue and joint pain and affects some 4 million Americans. There is no cure.

Venus, 32, dramatically overhauled her diet to deal with the chronic fatigue caused by her condition.

"Changing my diet has made a big difference," Williams told CBS News on July 9, 2012. "I'm not perfect, so I forgive myself when I make mistakes [with my vegan diet]. I do a lot of juicing as well, a lot of wheat grass shots...lots of fresh juices and things like that."

Venus, who pulled out of the 2011 U.S. Open after being diagnosed with Sjogren's, says the disease affects her entire body.

"Dry eyes and dry mouth are the hallmark symptoms, but fatigue can be so heavy that sitting in a chair is a huge effort," she says. "So, as a professional athlete, if you have fatigue, then that's tough. You can also have joint pain...issues with your internal systems."

Being constantly exhausted is a major challenge for Williams, but her condition has been improving since she became a vegan.

"I've made huge improvements since I was first diagnosed, so that has been huge for me, and it's a journey that I continue on," she says.


Click here to find out more!

, Celebrity Fitness and Health Examiner

Samantha Chang is the executive editor and co-owner of www.theimproper.com., an arts and entertainment website in New York City. A graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, Samantha is a former financial journalist who enjoys running, cycling and music. Contact her at schang@theImproper.com.



 By Smantha Chamng
 Source:
Tennis ace Venus Williams became a raw vegan after autoimmune disease diagnosis - National Celebrity Fitness and Health | Examiner.com
LINK:
  http://www.examiner.com/article/tennis-ace-venus-williams-became-a-raw-vegan-after-autoimmune-disease-diagnosis?CID=obinsite

No comments:

Post a Comment