Stay Positive


"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

- Alert Camus








Monday, September 10, 2012

Choosing a Spasticity Treatment | Key Questions and Goals

Spasticity Treatments

Spasticity is a treatable condition. You may be receiving treatment for the medical condition related to your spasticity, but the spasticity itself can be treated, too.

Choosing a Treatment

You, your family, caregivers, and health professionals will be working together to choose and carry out a treatment. Keep communicating in an open and honest way throughout this process to get the results you want.
Treatments can also be combined. For example, physical and occupational therapy are usually included to improve or keep range of motion.
Sometimes it is best not to start a treatment now, but to see how the condition develops.

Key Questions

Before beginning any treatment, ask your doctor:
  • Is the treatment necessary?
  • Do I and my caregiver have the time and resources necessary to put the treatment in action?
  • Will the treatment improve my or my caregiver’s quality of life?

Set Treatment Goals

Work with your family, caregiver, and healthcare providers to set realistic, achievable goals you want to reach through treatment. Here are some examples of treatment goals:
  • Relieve my pain
  • Decrease my fatigue
  • Increase my range of motion
  • Make spasms less frequent
  • Improve walking
  • Make it easier to bathe, dress, and eat
  • Make it easier for others to care for me
  • Improve my ability to reach for or release objects

Learn About Spasticity Treatments






Choosing a Spasticity Treatment | Key Questions and Goals


Link:  http://www.medtronic.com/patients/severe-spasticity/about/index.htm




No comments:

Post a Comment