Stay Positive


"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

- Alert Camus








Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sleep Hygiene

Sleep is crucial to staying healthy so I'm reading lots about it and have focused on getting up by 8 am daily.  My bedtimes are still late into the night so I'm sleep deprived.  Today, I tried to sleep longer but the 8 am is becoming a habit which is the goal.  Eventually, getting to bed at a reasonable time will become a goal.  I bought a SAD light because they have been found to help with "sleep delay syndrome" ... one of the several diagnosis given for my sleep problems by neurologists.
M.S. creates problems like restless leg syndrome that make it hard to fall to sleep... doctors have prescribed Gabapentin for that painful condition and it helps.with the transient pains of m.s.and the persistent irritation of restless legs.  The downside is general muscle weakness, sluggishness making waking up difficult and poor balance causing risk for  falls.  The O/T wants me to use a walker around the house but it is just too awkward.  I'm a 'wall walker' according to physio jargon but I find it more convenient.  The occupational therapist thinks my gait will suffer with my adaptations, using 2 canes to walk around the block versus using a walker.


I'm doing my best to be a cooperative patient to get what help is available from professionals in the healthcare industry. 

The neurologist at the M.S. Clinic says there are no current treatments for progressive forms of the disease but they like to monitor your health to collect data for future cures or treatments.

This situation requires lots of self-help to say as healthy as possible




No comments:

Post a Comment