Stay Positive


"In the midst of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."

- Alert Camus








Monday, January 27, 2014

Diet Can Reverse the Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis Lynda Lube

How Can the Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis Be Managed?

Diet Can Reverse the Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis

Lynda Lube
Thousands of people, like myself, are reversing their symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis through dietary changes. I did not believe that my Multiple Sclerosis symptoms could be managed back in the 90's. I remember calling Dr. Ashton Embry, scientist and author of the "Best Bet Diet" and listened with apathy and skepticism. I believed there was no hope. I was wrong in judging him. His web site can be visited at www.direct-ms.org for valuable information and his son's personal story. My story is only one of many who are healing through dietary changes.
My symptoms included spasms, fatigue, balance problems, pain, numbing, tingling, weakness leading to a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis in 1996. Other health issues included irritable bowel syndrome, restless leg syndrome, interstitial cystitis,depression, thyroid nodules and during my early 20's a diagnosis of Bells Palsy.
To date I am no longer taking any medicines, including a daily injection to manage my MS symptoms. I am NOT suggesting that you go off your medications but only read with an open mind. I choose not to listen to Dr. Embry back in 1997 which led to years of Doctor shopping, unpleasant drug side effects and years of feeling hopeless. Today I am feeling hopeful and empowered. The following is a brief list of resources to help you decide whether changing your diet will help you heal and feel hopeful.
1. Visit Dr. Ashton Embry's web site at www.direct-ms.org. Dr. Embry is the scientist behind the research and creation of the" best bet diet." He is the founder of Direct-MS. You will find free information, free recipes, a power point presentation, best bet diet, online support groups. To join the online forum send an email to MS-Diet-subscribe@yahoo.com. The MS-Diet support group believe that MS can be efficiently managed by changing your diet and taking some supplements. IT"S NOT A CURE, but it can slow or maybe halt the progression of the disease. Free recipes can be found at www.ms-diet.org (best bet diet.)
Dr. Emby's work is based on pioneers who knew that diet changes could help manage MS symptoms. Dr. Swank, Judith Graham and Roger MacDougall are a few who changed their lives through diet. MacDougall was a playwright, film writer, composer diagnosed with MS in 1953. He was confined to a wheelchair until he took his health in his own hands and reversed his MS symptoms. He died in his eighties with no MS symptoms at the time of his death.
2. Pick up the book entitled, "Identify the foods that will heal your disease. The MS Recovery Diet. Take control of your health, change what you eat, and live symptom-free," by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach. Both of these women are living symptom free by eating differently. Ann stopped the progression of MS which included numbing, tightness, pain, weakness, fatigue. Judith spent many of her days in bed from the debilitating symptoms of MS. Today she is hiking. The book is a combination of scientific studies, theories, inspirational recovery stories and a great cookbook.
3. Get a RAST or ELISA blood tests to determine your food sensitivities. Ask your Doctor or go to Dr. Embry's Web site to find labs that do the tests. Also determine the level of your Vitamin D through a blood test. See Dr. Embry's power point presentation about why Vitamin D is essential to your healing.
4. Visit www.truthinlabeling.org. Monosodium Glutamate, aspartame, sulfites, L-cysteine are neurotoxins that cross the blood brain barrier and cause health problems. I discovered through keeping a food diary that I can not tolerate the above mentioned ingredients. Remember MSG or free processed glutamate acid is hidden in food using other names, such as broth, hydrolyzed, natural flavoring, calcium caseinate, carrageenan only to name a few. For a complete list visit www.truthinlabeling.org. Presently, there are videos on Youtube about the dangers of MSG. One is a 60 minute investigation of MSG, which is a rebroadcast from 1992. A direct link to YouTube can be found at www.truthinlabeling.org. MSG continues to be on the Generally Regarded as Safe List with the FDA.
5. Visit www.msgmyth.com. Debbie Anglesey suffered ill health for many years. Symptoms ranged from migraines, chest pains to irritable bowel. She has a very informative web site and book entitled, "Battling the MSG Myth". A Survival Guide and Cookbook.
During my research I discovered articles that concluded food sensitivities are worsened by ingesting MSG. It has been suggested that MS and many other diseases are diseases of the blood brain barrier. Current scientific evidence is inconclusive. The MSG industry claims that glutamate cannot enter the brain because of the protection of the blood brain barrier. According to John E. Erb, author of "The Slow Poisoning of America", there are several areas that do not have a barrier system, one of which is the hypothalamus. Interesting to note that the drug industry has developed new glutamate blockers to counter the effects of glutamate receptors in the brain even though MSG supporters claim that glutamate from processed foods cannot cross the blood brain barrier.
6. Read Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. book, entitled Excitotoxins The Taste that Kills. He along with other physicians, such as Dr. George Schwartz, author of In Bad Taste: The MSG Symptom Complex, know that MSG is a neurotransmitter which over stimulates brain neurons to the point of death. Their work focuses in on MSG and a correlation to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Fibromyalgia, MS, asthma, ADD, obesity and other health problems in today's society.
7. I have lesions in my brain but I am living a symptom free life. I continue to follow a diet free of the five trigger foods, which includes, dairy, glutens, legumes, yeast and eggs. I realized that most of these trigger foods also contained MSG. I avoid my known food sensitivities and I avoid MSG, aspartame, phosphoric acid, all artificial sweeteners, sulfites, L-cysteine. Basically, I do NOT eat food in a can, box or jar. I eat fresh or frozen vegetables, fruit, brown rice, salmon, flax, some nuts, green tea. I read ingredients on food labels, aware of hidden sources of MSG. I eat healthy fat, as in Omega 3 found in walnuts,salmon and flax. I keep the omega 6 to a minimum. At this point I do not take any supplements other than pure Alaskan salmon oil liquid form. I may be taking Vitamin D3 in the near future depending on the results of a Vitamin D level. I exercise, get a daily dose of sunshine which is the best source of Vitamin D and I pray.
8. Find a Doctor who will listen and believe in you. Doctors do not know everything. You know your body. If you are able keep a food diary, noting changes in your symptoms when you eat certain foods.
9. Once you are feeling stronger, find an exercise program that fits your life style. I enjoy walking, yoga, jumping on a mini trampoline.
10. End the spiral of despair. Believe you can be healthier by changing your diet. Good luck with your journey.
Published by Lynda Lube
I am way over 18. I live in Tennessee, a transplant from Northern Ontario. Writing inspires me to keep my brain exercised. Sharing information from personal experiences may help others feel hopeful.  View profile










  • Symptoms of Multiple Scleroisis can be managed and reversed.
  • Avoid five food triggers, including hidden sources of MSG
  • Get a RAST or ELISA test to identify food sensitivities.

 MS may be a disease of a comprised blood brain barrier. MSG, aspartame, L-cysteine are neurotoxins that are causing health problems, including MS. MS can be managed through dietary changes. There is a blood test to determine one's Vitamin D level














No comments:

Post a Comment